Wednesday, November 26, 2008

a strange thanksgiving

strange is about the only word i can think of...

when i think back on my earliest memories of thanksgiving this is what i imagine... in fact EVERY thanksgiving i think of this... waking up to my dad cooking sweet corn pudding... going down and watching the parade with the family... then packing up the car and heading to grandma's or mema's. for a while we would go to mema's for lunch then grandma's for dinner. double duty. it wasn't the same every year... but the corn and the parade and the family part... that was the same.
so this year... its just weird.
im not going to lie... im about to throw myself a pity party... im home flying solo, eating pizza, drinking a coke and watching some tv. i will say its quite relaxing... but knowing everyone else is with someone... it just kinda sucks.
tomorrow im hoping it will be an ok day. i think it will be fine. just DIFFERENT and strange. im not even going lie... but i hope this is the last thanksgiving i spend without ryan... really. it prob wont happen... but i hope it is. anyway... tomorrow...

im going to wake up and go to the grocery store... that is if they are open?! crap. i forgot about that. hopefully ill find one open and get the ingredients for a sweet potato casserole. then im coming home- watching the parade and attempting a sweet potato casserole.
then ill be heading over to my friend's justin and jon's house... they are having a lunch for anyone who is around who needs a place to go for thanksgiving... thankfully! so ill be over there for a thanksgiving lunch with friends.
after lunch ill head to work... for 3 hours... yeah. strange. but oh well. its what happened...

then perhaps/ hopefully ill be driving to the mountains to see my family. well mom and bro's. unfortunately duty calls for dad... he has to be a preacher. and be there for another family who just had a tragic lost in their family. im pretty sad no dad- but thats life of a preacher's family. at least one day when i have kids and their dad is a pastor... i will know how they feel. preacher's... really the best hours in the world... but sometimes the worst. power to pop's though.

anyway. let me just mention ry... i would have been with him and his family tomorrow night... but he is realllll sick. really really sick. he went to an acute care place tonight and got some meds so hopefully tomorrow he will be a new man- but yeah... bc of his sickness and he is 3 hours away... and some other random stuff i prob wont go to snider thanksgiving... but instead will meet up with my mom. its complicated... but just another bummer/negative.

ok. so despite my depressed self this thanksgiving eve... i guess i will follow trend and say what i am thankful for... because really. i am thankful for so much...

my family- they are awesome, my parents are incredible (the 2 most giving people i know- who have sacrificed so much... especially in the last year):

this guy (for so so many reasons):


this girl (for so so many reasons!)... she puts up with me, listens to me, laughs with me, lets me cry, skypes with me, wii's with me... she is incredible:

beautiful places... and FABULOUS memories

my career... and my college. thankful for the best 4 years of my life... and a career that i can grow in...

my job. i work with awesome people, have a fabulous boss... and really overall like my job. not too many people can say that... i just hate waking up at 6am! (thats really my only complaint)


this woman... she is my strong advisor; my mentor; the person i admire so much in life. she does what she wants/thinks is best. she doesn't let other people's opinions bother her. she loves the Lord and makes it evident; she has a passion for India that is unreal... she in incredible...

these boys...
this picture signifies my closest best friends in college... minus woodsy... haha... i still love him though. but really. these boys mean the world to me...



so i have a lot to be thankful for this year... really. i am so blessed to have an incredible family. a man like RYAN in my life... and two best friends that are the best a girl could EVER ask for. really... i am so thankful for the people in my life... although NONE of those people are here with me... or even live close (except for ry)... they mean the world to me... and are missed so much.

if you are with your closest friends and family... be extra grateful. enjoy your time. have lots of fun. i CAN"T wait to see my fam soon...
and luckily at christmas time ill be home for 7 days! waHHOOO!!!




ps- im also really REALLY thankful for diet mountain dew. i drink it a lot. as do most nurses...but really. it gets me through my day... haha...

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I definitely feel you on Thanksgiving being a bummer. I'm in England! Thousands of miles away from my family, friends, and Jack and no one to celebrate with. It is sad to be away, but it makes you that much more thankful for them, doesn't it? I'm thinking about you and hoping the rest of your weekend goes great! :)